Friday, December 19, 2008

Can't Wait to Get Up in the Morning


Our daughter Jennifer is coming home from college this evening to spend a fall break weekend here in Houston. Jennifer is a freshman at the University of South Carolina and this will be her first trip back home since we dropped her off in August.

Needless to say we are very excited.

This morning I woke up with a “can’t wait to get up in the morning because today Jennifer is coming home” feeling of excitement.

I’m convinced that’s the way we are supposed to start every morning.

I can’t wait to get up because today is the day that… (you finish the sentence).

There are lots of possibilities.

Great teachers can’t wait to get up because each day they get an opportunity to shape young minds.

Great architects can’t wait to get up and create spaces.

I suppose great accountants can’t wait to get up and account for things.

I asked our pastors today what gets them up in the morning. I loved their answers:

Getting the hear people’s stories
Finding creative ways to assure people with God’s promises
Working with elders and staff that are like family
I’m convinced having a “I can’t wait to get up because” attitude is critical to ministry leaders.
A friend of mine loves to quote Robert Frost who once remarked,
No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.

No “can’t wait to get up because” in the leadership…no “can’t wait to get up” in the church.
Right now I can’t wait to get up each morning because of the amazing people I get to serve alongside and the privilege of sharing Jesus’ good news and way of life.
What gives you a “I can’t wait to get up in the morning” feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment