Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time for a Do Over


There’s a great scene in the 1991 movie City Slickers.  Three friends Mitch (Billy Crystal), Phil (Daniel Stern) and Ed (Bruno Kirby) go on a cattle drive in response to each one’s version of a mid-life crisis.

One night along the trail Phil confesses that he feels as if he’s wasted his life.  Mitch reminds him of when they were playing as kids and a ball would get stuck in a tree, they would call a “do over.”  Mitch tells Phil that if he wants, his life can be a “do over.”

I love Phil’s response:

You know you were right, Mitch. My life is a "do-over". It's time to get started.

In Psalm 51  (our text for this weekend) David cries to God for a “do-over:”

Have mercy on me, O God,
       according to Your unfailing love;
       according to Your great compassion
       blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity 
      
and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions, 
      
and my sin is always before me.
Against You, You only, have I sinned 
      
and done what is evil in Your sight, 
      

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; 
      
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness; 
      
let the bones You have crushed rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins 
      
and blot out all my iniquity.
Create in me a pure heart, O God, 
      
 and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

That’s a cry most of us could echo and it’s a cry answered loudly through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  We will celebrate that answer as we celebrate communion in worship this Sunday.

Because of Jesus our life can be a do-over.  It’s time to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment