Monday, May 3, 2010

The Runaway Bunny

In 1942 Margaret Wise Brown wrote what has become a children’s classic – The Runaway Bunny.  The amazing illustrations of Clement Hurd (together they also produced Goodnight Moon) help tell the story of a mother’s relentless love for her little bunny. 

I’m working this morning on this Sunday’s Mother’s Day message on Psalm 139:

Where can I go from Your Spirit? 
      
Where can I flee from Your presence?

If I go up to the heavens, You are there; 
      
if I make my bed in the depths, You are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
      
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there Your hand will guide me, 
      
Your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me 
      
and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to You; 
      
the night will shine like the day, 
      
for darkness is as light to You.

I can’t read those words without thinking about the Runaway Bunny and the Mother Bunny who will follow him to the heavens, the depths and the far side of the sea.

It makes all the difference in the world knowing that no matter how far we run there is someone – and more importantly Someone (read God) who will never leave us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment