Monday, October 13, 2014

Calm Parenting (a second chance to attend)

Yesterday afternoon at Mountaintop we hosted a Calm Parenting Workshop led by Kirk and Casey Martin (mostly Kirk).  We had about 120 in attendance (about half from the church and half from the community).  The Martins shared parenting wisdom (with a little marriage wisdom sprinkled in as well) and quite simply, it was fantastic!

The presentation was practical, honest, immediately applicable, grounded in solid research and also hilarious.  Kirk is a gifted communicator and came early and stayed late to make sure he answered everyone’s questions.  The teaching was beneficial not just for parents but also for anyone who works with kids from birth through high school (we had a few education students from Samford in attendance – one who wanted to make sure I knew she was too young to have kids).

I had two thoughts leaving.  1) I wish I had heard this 10 years ago and 2) I wish I had promoted, encouraged and maybe even challenged more people to attend – it was that good.  I can’t do anything about the first thought but I can – with your help by sharing this post – do something about the second.

Kirk and Casey are speaking again tonight in Birmingham.  From 7:00 – 9:00 this evening they will be at Oak Mountain Presbyterian Church.  The workshop is free and Oak Mountain does not require registration.  Here’s a link with directions


If you have kids, grandkids, teach or volunteer with kids I would encourage, urge, even challenge you to attend. 

The vision of Mountaintop is to be a place where we are learning and sharing a better way to live in Christ.  An evening with the Martin’s at a Calm Parenting Workshop will provide you some great tools for a better way to parent.



No comments:

Post a Comment