Thursday, November 14, 2013

Failing to meet the expectations you are poorly communicating.


In a conversation last week I was reminded of one of the most important leadership lessons I’ve learned.  It came from a member of my staff a few years ago.

I had become VERY upset with two members of our team.  Because they were caught up working on an important project they failed to attend a meeting that, though optional, was equally important to me.  I felt it demonstrated a lack of commitment to the team and poor priority setting.  When I brought the two of them into my office to discuss their failure he began the conversation with an unforgettable observation:

Doug. I feel as if I am failing to meet the expectations that you are poorly communicating.

Think about that statement:

I am failing to meet the expectations that you are poorly communicating.

Ouch.

He was exactly right.  The two of them had completely failed to meet my expectations, BUT I had done a lousy job in clearly communicating those expectations.

It’s a lesson that I need to be reminded of constantly.   I can tend to be fairly intuitive so I expect that everyone else is equally intuitive and will understand what is expected without having to be told directly.  Sometimes I go so far as to expect staff to read my mind to know what I expect from them.

The truth is it’s a good thing that no one can read my mind – but that means I have to make sure I am communicating clearly - especially when it comes to performance expectations.

So the next time someone (staff , friend, family member) fails to meet your expectations, stop and ask yourself if your poor communication is part of the problem.

What are ways you’ve found to clearly communication expectations?

No comments:

Post a Comment