Many of us in Alabama are painfully aware of the level of destruction that Monday’s tornados brought to Oklahoma. We are also aware that in the days that follow there is a need for a coordinated relief effort. As tempting as it might be to load up your vehicle and head to Oklahoma to see how you can help, that is usually not our best response.
Throughout the year Mountaintop partners with ministries, locally and around the world, to insure that our response to needs are appropriate, well coordinated and strategic. As we look for ways to assist our neighbors in Oklahoma our Compassion Pastor, Mari Beth Poor, has been working with one of our ongoing mission partners, Christian Service Mission.
Below is an email from CSM which offers direction on how you might best respond:
Currently local officials are asking for your help to not respond at this time. Search and Rescue Teams are on location and will be for the next 24 hours as they continue to search for survivors.
Volunteers will be needed. But, please affiliate before responding, and do not self deploy!
Here are ways you can help.
1) Pray for the families. Many have lost loved ones and this will be a difficult time for them.
2) Donate relief supplies. We will be collecting items, current needs are listed at the bottom of this email, and the list will be kept up to date on our Facebook and Website in the coming days. CSM will be accepting donations Wednesday-Friday 8-5pm and on Saturday from 8-2pm.
Christian Service Mission
3600 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35222
3) Do not do a clothing or food drive. The best resources needed now are cash to a known and trusted organization and requested items for relief.
CSM is seeking the Lords direction in our response. We are looking to do an assessment within the next few days. Our response will depend on financial support and willing hearts. We will be sending supplies to Moore, Oklahoma to a local partner.
Our fist truckload of supplies will be sent THIS Friday (May 24th) and is scheduled to leave around 7 am. We plan to send another truck next week as well.
Please prayerfully consider a financial gift of any size that will help us to meet needs and deliver supplies to Moore, Oklahoma. Any financial donations received will be used to directly support the victims of this tornado. Please mark any financial contributions "Moore". You can donate by mailing a donation to 3600 3rd Ave South, Birmingham, AL 35222, by bringing it by our office, or online at http://csmission.org/contribute/generaldonation/
We thank you for your faithfulness to the Kingdom and for your support of our mission.
"And the King shall answer and say unto them,' Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.'"
Current Supply Needs:
• Work and Vinyl gloves
• Duck Tape
• Cooling cloths
• Hats- Baseball caps and large brimmed
• Safety glasses
• Trash bags - large heavy duty
• Rope - nylon and synthetic
• Paper towels
• Toilet paper
• Basic First Aid Kits- Band aids, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc
• Mosquito repellent
• Lip balm
• Cleaning Wipes
• Plastic Storage Containers
• Shelter Tents - for shade