Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Waiting for Isaac


This week our family is enjoying a Thanksgiving week in my favorite city, Charleston SC (and I’m writing this blog from my favorite coffee shop – Baked).  I am thankful for this “down time” for the 5 of us.  This morning I’ve been reflecting on how thankful I am or the times I’ve waited for Isaac.

Year’s ago, as I was wrestling with a decision, a very wise friend suggested that maybe “Hagar and I should quit trying to have a baby” and just wait on Isaac.  If you don’t catch the reference (it’s not Isaac from the Love Boat), in the Old Testament God promises give a son to Abraham and Sarai from whom a great nation would emerge.  God’s timing doesn’t exactly match Abraham’s – Abe get’s tired of waiting and decides to take control of the situation.  He has a son, Ishmael, by Sarai servant, Hagar, and ultimately makes a complete mess of things.  Then another 14 years of waiting go by before Isaac is born and God’s promise fulfilled.

In a world of instant results it’s hard to wait on Isaac.  Too often we anxiously and impatiently attempt to take control and solve things on our own.  It’s a temptation in our relationships, careers, finances and almost aspect of life.  Sometimes we need a carpe diem attitude to stop hesitating and seize the day.  But sometimes the wiser course is to wait for Isaac.

No comments:

Post a Comment